Temperatures are climbing right now in Southern California and the less I have to wear the better.
I'm not a huge fan of strapless bras because they're more challenging to size and fit on my body. But I love to wear them during hotter and more humid months.
Going braless is not an option for me. I can't imagine the river of sweat it would create under my boobs, not to mention the distracting flopping. I've got way too many sheer, flowing, or wide-armed tops and dresses to go without wearing one. The good news is that there are now more options available in a range of cuts and sizes. For instance, I like the look and feel of long-line versions (sometimes called bustiers). For me, it means spending less time doing that thumbs-at-the-sides-of-my-bra dance.
Here are my tips for finding the best summer strapless bras:
1. Go up a cup in push-up styles. Sometimes extra padding leaves less room for breast tissue. Try a larger cup size (if you're happy with the band fit), to achieve the cup coverage you need.
2. Play around with cup styles, shapes, and sizes. You must rely on the band for all support in a strapless bra, but cup design varies. Use your bra vocabulary and keep in mind The Bra Zone to get the best fit. You'll find plunge, full coverage, and push-up cups; with each sculpting your boobs in different shapes and directions. All of these cuts may---or may not---give you a look you want to wear. Many strapless brands feature silicone edging (also found on bra bands) for added grip.
3. Try convertible bras with and without straps. Convertible bras give you more flexibility, but they may not fit the same as a regular or "true" strapless bra. It's always good to take the time to reset straps and see how they work for you. They might be too wide-set for your shoulders or too short for your torso, for instance.
4. Check the band. Some people prefer a tighter fit in the band of their strapless bra. But that's not the only issue to consider. If you have a higher tummy, you may want to select a bra with a floating band (not straight across but curving up in the middle).
5. Look at the rear view. Not all bands hit your back in the same place. Some fall lower or higher from your waist.
6. Bring along a couple of summer tops and dresses for a quick reality check. Don't assume because you like the way the bra looks on you in the mirror that it will work under that summer frock you just bought. Take it along on your shopping trip and be sure. On the other hand, you can always find the best strapless bra first and then head off to your favorite boutique to find something to wear over it!!
Here are 14 highly rated summer strapless bras you may want to consider in your bra shopping quest:Free People 'Love Letters' Strapless Underwire Bra Available in 4 Colors Fitting Band Sizes 32-36, Cups B-D via Nordstrom The Little Bra Company Sascha Petite Lace Strapless Bra Available in Bands 28-38, Cups A-C via HerRoom
Fantasie Strapless Underwire Bra Available in Bands 30-40, Cups D-G via Nordstrom Cleo by Panache Koko Plunge Strapless Bra Available in Bands Sizes 28-38, UK Cups DD-G via Bare Necessities Curvy Kate Luxe Strapless Multiway Underwire Bra Available in Bands 28-38, Cups D-HH via HerRoom
Which of these summer strapless bras would you wear? Why or why not?
Latest posts by Elisabeth Dale (see all)
- Else Lingerie: Effortless, Modern and Elegant Intimate Apparel - May 16, 2019
- Layneau Millefeuille Luxury Lingerie Collection - March 21, 2019
- Where to Recycle Bras, Part 2 - February 28, 2019