The last time I wrote about ways to customize your bra, I got a bit of flack for it.
Many bra fitters and others believe the “right” bra (whether in size or style) should answer all of a bra wearer’s problems. But I don’t think it’s realistic to assume that everyone can find the exact fit for every situation. Sometimes you need to think “outside the bra” and turn to a few bra hacks to get the job done.
First, there are plenty of obstacles to getting the right fit. Some have to do with access. Others come down to not having a huge bra budget or living in an area where there aren’t many lingerie retailers. Second, not every person has the same fashion or physical needs. You might be smaller or broader around the chest than average. Or you’re more sensitive to shoulder strap pain. It could be something as simple as straps made too long for your shorter torso. It seems silly not to take advantage of these innovative bra hacks to help you deal with these situations.
If you’re looking to tailor how your bra fits, you should know about these eight bra hacks and fixes:
1. Cleavage Boosters, Shapers, and Push-Up Pads. Sometimes you need a little more ‘oomph’ for certain necklines. Or maybe you’ve got uneven breasts, and you want to fill out one cup but not the other. These boob volume enhancers come in multiple sizes, styles, and shapes. Some are even waterproof.Bravo Triangle Push-Up Pads via Nordstrom
2. Bra Clips and Strap Converters. Converting a bra into a racerback style can help keep straps from falling off rounded shoulders. These clips or other add-ons make it easy. Many bra fitters aren’t crazy about these products. Some think you should invest in a good convertible bra, instead of altering the design and construction of a bra. However, there are those that like these little tweaks to help them get the right fit. It’s a personal choice. Just be sure that whatever you buy, you have the arm mobility or shoulder range of motion to use it.
3. Strap Cushions. This nifty little invention helps prevent strap slippage on anyone, and especially those with rounded or sloping shoulders. Plus, if you are more sensitive or have softer skin, they alleviate shoulder pain from digging straps. You’ll find some fabric, as well as a silicone versions of this product, too.Braza Bra Comfort Silicone via HerRoom
4. Nipple Covers and Concealers. Everybody isn’t a fan of #freethenipple. Exposing nip slips is a matter of personal style and comfort. As a result, there are now plenty of “modesty” covers on the market. You can wear them with or without a bra, depending on your needs. They’re available in a multiple colours and sizes. If you have any skin allergies, avoid those with adhesive backings.Commando ‘Top Hats’ Self-Adhesive Nipple Concealers via Nordstrom
5. Bra Back Extenders. Many bra brands offer only core sizes in their bras, which means you probably won’t them going much beyond 38-inches in department stores. If size and placement of cups work for you but you need more room across the back, you’ll want to invest in a few bra band extenders. You’ll find these in various hook combinations and band widths, and some even work with longline bras.
6. The Strap Saver. Bra straps come in a variety of lengths, and sometimes they’re too long for your torso. This genius hack is a quick and easy solution for that problem without digging out needle and thread to make some adjustment.
7. Rixie Clip Bra Band Tightener. Because sometimes you need to tighten up the bra band, instead of letting it out. This product is ideal for those with smaller rib cages who want to reduce bra band length. Can also be used to extend the life of the band if it is prematurely worn out.
8. Bra and Garment Protectors. These pads aren’t so much a bra fix as a great item to have in your wardrobe to protect your clothes and your beautiful bras while keeping you cool. If you live in a warm climate or are prone to hot flashes, these save on wardrobe stains and personal embarrassment.Wick ’em Two-Pack Bra Liners Available in Sizes A/B to F/G via HerRoom
Do you use lingerie accessories as bra hacks and fixes? Which brands or products do you like best?
Latest posts by Elisabeth Dale (see all)
- God Save Queens: Feminine and Empowering Lingerie Fashion - September 20, 2018
- Home Decor Ideas and Inspiration: Boobs Edition - September 4, 2018
- ColieCo Lingerie: Ethically Manufactured, Sustainable, and Made to Last - August 14, 2018