Some lingerie is made to wear outside the bedroom.
The bodysuit is one such versatile piece. It can be worn multiple ways. Layer it under skirts, pants, and jackets with or without a bra. It can serve as an informal, casual piece or be part of a dressy cocktail ensemble. The only drawback (for me) is gauging if the bodice and crotch snaps fit my torso. Turns out that, not unlike bras, they aren't all constructed the same way.
Bodysuits have gone in and out of style but appear to be back for good. They were a big part of this year's New York Curvexpo Lingerie and Swim trade show. What's new and different is the wide range of designs, materials, and retail prices you'll find. It reflects the variety of brands appealing to particular tastes and styles.
These ten bodysuit fashions highlight the broad range of lingerie choices now available to consumers. Yeah, there are still a few holes this global intimate apparel market, but it's more diverse than it was ten years ago.
Let me know in the comments below which of these brands you'd wear.
1. Tia Lyn Lingerie makes vintage-inspired designs that fit and flatter many proportions. Their latest bodysuit is a great addition to a collection of feminine and flirty stretch lace bralettes, camisoles, slips, and comfy loungewear.
Tia Lyn Model at Curvexpo
2. Marie Jo Lingerie is the younger sister of one of my personal favorites, Italian lingerie brand Prima Donna. I didn't get a chance to get all the info on this SS2016 bodysuit but had to include it because of the gorgeous detailing. You can learn more about Marie Jo Lingerie at their website, along with a list of retailers.
3. Modern, fun, and flirtatious is the motto of new UK lingerie line MAVEN, making its debut at the Curvexpo NYC show. The collection features bright mesh and lace playsuits, bra sets, bodysuits, and robes. These are pieces you want to show off! MAVEN retro and triangle bras come in a surprising range of sizes; fitting 30-38 band sizes in B and C cups and 28-38 bands in D through G cups. They'll be in stores early next year.
MAVEN Booth at Curvexpo featuring colourful bras, bodysuits, and robes
4. The five-year-old lingerie Danish brand, Underprotection, is all about aesthetics and ethics. Recycled and organic materials are the foundation of this line of sustainable and fashionable lingerie, swimwear, and loungewear. Visit their website for a peek at their SS2016 bodysuits, coming soon.
Underprotection Swim and Lingerie at Curvexpo
5. Erica M. New York's original designs include bodysuits, crop tops, and luxury fashion hosiery. Her knitted and embellished patterns blew me away, with intricate details on both the front and back of her modern pieces. Watch out for this new brand.
Erica M. Margit Bodysuit Available in Sizes S/M (0-6) and L/XL (8-14) Available October 2015 Suggested Retail Price $268
6. RELIQUE is another younger New York brand. Founded by two friends, RELIQUE's whimsical hand dyed original designs are mini pieces of artwork. The SS2016 collection also includes bralettes, bathing suits and rompers. Learn more about them and where to buy at their website.
7. You can choose to go flirty or super sexy in KISSKILL's bodysuits. The Austrailian company creates a selection of daring, intimate apparel, sleepwear, and accessories such as statement eye masks and nipple pasties. Don't miss the awesome jeweled tone zippered bras (and knickers!) on their website.
8. Sonata Rapalyte is a UK brand named after its Lithuanian designer. Their speciality is the glamorous bodysuit made of intricate laces, silks and embellished with crystals and sequins. These breathtaking pieces are available in multiple styles and colours. Visit their website to see more, including robes, bras, and other intimate apparel.
Sonata Rapalyte Booth at Curvexpo
Sonatine Long-Sleeved Bodysuit Available in Sizes XS-XL Retail Price $260 (approximate)
9. VaBien has been in the bodysuit business longer than most on this list. I'm more familiar with their special occasion line of strapless bras. This piece is from their upcoming Couture Atelier Va Bien Midnight Garden collection. Not only can you own an embroidered tulle bodysuit, but you'll soon be able to purchase a silk jacket or skirt to match.
10. Sorry to say that I can't share any photos of the Gilda & Pearl booth from Curvexpo. The pictures I took on my phone don't do justice to this luxury UK lingerie brand. Visit their website to swoon over exquisite robes, slips, silk kimonos, bras, bodysuits, and marabou babydolls. Here's a gold lace bodysuit from last season, available at Nancy Meyer.
Do you wear bodysuits? Which of these would you be tempted to try? What do you think of the lingerie as outerwear trend?
Latest posts by Elisabeth Dale (see all)
- Else Lingerie: Effortless, Modern and Elegant Intimate Apparel - May 16, 2019
- Layneau Millefeuille Luxury Lingerie Collection - March 21, 2019
- Where to Recycle Bras, Part 2 - February 28, 2019